Know the 4 Most Common Types of Wine
What are the 4 most common types of wine?
- Red Wine
- White Wine
- Sparkling Wine
Alcohol is one of the best things to come into mankind’s world of indulgence. It promotes all kinds of enjoyment and it also serves as a complement to pretty much any dish available; and with it being a staple in every wedding catering in the Philippines, there’s no doubt that alcohol is here to stay, especially wine.
Calling all wine lovers, this post is especially for you! Wine is somewhat considered as a popular drink in various functions, including weddings. In this regard, you will find that this drink is almost always served in any and every grand occasion all over the world. Certainly, wines can help make this important celebration more memorable through their delightful taste and large numbers for availability, all with the importance of moderation when drinking.
If you are planning a wedding or any other important occasion, you should get to know the common types of wine. Having the know-how in this concept will help you figure out which is best to serve in your event and which will go perfectly with the food you intend to serve.
Wine is made through long hours of effort and numerous varieties of fruits such as grapes. Europe, Australia, New Zealand, America, and some parts of Africa are the main distributors of this succulent drink. There are numerous flavors of wine, but below are its four main kinds.
When it comes to enjoying a nice glass of wine after a long, hard day’s work, you can never go wrong with your classic glass of red wine. Perfect for any food for any occasion, this beverage can definitely heighten your dining experience.
Black grapes are used to create delectable red wines out there. The flavors include fruity dry, herbal dry, and sweet flavors. It’s best to pair red wine with red meat, lamb, chicken, salmon, vegetables, and Japanese dishes.
- Cabernet Sauvignon – made from mixed cabernet franc and merlot with an oak treatment. This is popularly considered as the best variety of red wine worldwide. Although it might taste tannic and strong, it is still amazing.
- Pinot noir – known as the most decent red wine because its grapes are hard to grow, smooth, and rarely mixed. Think of this as the opposite of cabernet sauvignon because its flavor is certainly delicate, which plenty of people find very pleasant.
- Merlot- one of the most common red wines out there, this is also usually seen as the first wine-of-choice for any first-time wine drinkers. Its luscious flavor and texture is enough to entice anyone to grab a bottle, pour a glass, and have a couple of sips. Also, it goes well with pretty much, anything edible.
When it comes to perfect food pairings, white wine is definitely one of the best ones to choose from. White wine is typically made from green grapes and, sometimes, with black grapes. The tastes of white wines vary from smooth to rich, light to zesty, with dry and sweet flavors. White wines are best paired with salad, seafood, meat, pasta, and poultry.
- Chardonnay – this is the most famous varietal drink under this category. Chardonnay is velvety, citrusy, and buttery. It is best paired with fish and chicken dishes.
- Sauvignon blanc – Sauvignon blanc is lighter than chardonnay, giving an herbal feeling with bits of apple, melon, and mango flavors.
- Moscato- wines are often paired with delicacies and other savory dishes, especially with white wine; but with Moscato in your arsenal, you can give your sugary-sweet treat a tremendous upgrade.
Rosé is made from black grapes which skins are removed, thus, its light color. Aside from black grapes, this type of wine can also be created through a combination of red and white wines, causing it to have dry, sweet, herbal, and fruity floral flavors.
- Provence – the top pick when it comes to this type of wine is Provence. It tastes crisp and fresh, making it a perfect drink for almost any kind of food.
- Tavel – it is believed Tavel is Ernest Hemingway’s favorite rosé varietal. This one might be similar to a classic red wine because of its nutty and strong fruity taste.
- Syrah- this rose wine is most known for its sweet and fruity flavor, with a sort of spicy and peppery aftertaste. Made from blackberries, blueberries, and boysenberries, flavor is its topmost priority in every drinker’s satisfaction.
When it comes to wine, it’s not just about the flavor that makes it the well-known kind of beverage it is today; it’s also about the consistency one feels when drinking it. While the usual flat consistency is famous with wine drinkers everywhere, the sparkling variants are also a great bet for indulgence.
Sparkling wine is another type of wine. This is made through a series of secondary fermentation which causes bubbles. It can be red, white, or rosé wine with a strong and sweet flavor.
- Champagne – This is the most popular sparkling wine and it is made through a mixture of chardonnay, pinot meaner, and pinot noir. Its exquisite taste makes it one of the most remarkable sparkling wines.
- Asti – muscat grapes from Italy are used to make asti. This type of sparkling wine tastes sweet.
- Demi-sec- another wine that’s suited for desserts, drinking this sparkling beverage will make you feel like an adult enjoying their dessert with a fizzy drink, the adult way.
Wine has been proven to provide numerous health benefits, especially for the heart. This alcoholic beverage is certainly a great alternative to the usual liquors served in important events and is certainly a great match for anything edible.
With that said, feel free to try any of the wines stated above to see which suits your preference the best and which will go perfectly with the food that you want to prepare on your event. Just remember two things: to budget well because wine can be quite expensive; and to practice moderation with drinking wine. One sip too much and before you know it, you’re suffering from one of the worst hangovers ever!